Every month, the children’s services staff of the St. Charles City-County Library District create an Early Literacy Calendar for the community. Each calendar includes fun, impactful early literacy activities that can help children develop the skills necessary to learn to read. These calendars emphasize talking, reading, writing, singing, and playing with the pre-readers in your life.
Click here for the October 2014 Early Literacy Calendar.
Use the calendar to make early literacy activities a part of your child’s daily routine!
Congratulations to the Friends of the Library
– our partners in literacy! Thousands of customers shopped the August 2014 Book Fair and helped
These completely engaged young readers are the reason the Friends of the Library hold their annual book fair. For 27 years our Friends have promoted literacy by getting books into the hands of the community.
the Friends raise more than $80,000 to benefit our libraries and assist with the Library Foundation‘s literacy initiatives across St. Charles County. It’s refreshing to know that so many in our community continue to regard books as a valuable part of life. What is even more amazing is all that the Friends can do with proceeds from the book fair and the 250,000+ books, movies, music and more donated throughout the year. Here are just a few of the many ways that our Friends make an impact for literacy:
- Donation of books to the Library Foundation for our Ready to Read and Books to You outreach programs and other community events.
- Funding for Library District book discussion groups .
- Free books to 90+ educators and non-profit agencies on the last day of the Book Fair.
- Sponsorship of the Library District’s Summer Reading Program for children, teens and adults.
The Friends are focused on getting books into the hands of anyone in the community who wants to read. The Library Foundation greatly appreciates their advocacy and support of our literacy initiatives and the work of Friends volunteers for the benefit of our library customers. Together we are making a difference for literacy in our community!
Click here to see photos from this year’s book fair.